Resources for Departments
We asked entomologists around North America what their departments are doing to improve inclusivity in entomology. We’ve consolidated all their answers here as a resource for other departments (not just entomology/biology) to use. What can you do in your department this year?
Bring youth into the community
- Target schools with representative or diverse populations.
- Target under-represented communities (e.g., native land or predominantly black communities)
- Summer work programs and field courses
Diversify recruitment strategies
Recruit at diverse conferences
- Remove GRE requirement while emphasizing personal statement and letters of recommendation (graduate school)
- Value service and pro-diversity activity on CVs
- Advertise positions with Historically Black Colleges and Universities and EntoPOC Job Board